Using parMetis in petsc for ordering

Dimitri Lecas dimitri.lecas at free.fr
Wed Jan 10 17:18:06 CST 2007

Barry Smith a écrit :
>   1) The PETSc LU and Cholesky solvers only run sequentially.
>   2) The parallel LU and Cholesky solvers PETSc interfaces to, SuperLU_dist,
>      MUMPS, Spooles, DSCPACK do NOT accept an external ordering provided for
>      them.
>
>    Hence we do not have any setup for doing parallel matrix orderings for
> factorizations, since we cannot use them. We could allow calling a parallel
> ordering but I'm not sure what it would be useful for.
>
>    Barry

Ok i see that i was looking for a wrong direction.

Just in ksp/examples/tutorials/ex10.c, Partitioning is used on the
linear system matrix. I don't understand why ?

What i understand it's, with MatPartitioning we try to partitioning the
graph build  from the matrix (vertices is the row/columns and edge
between i and j if aij or aji is non zero value). But in my mind, a good
partitioning for solving linear system with iterative algorithm is to
load balance the non zero value between processors, so we have to use
weight, number of non zero value in the row, to have a good partitioning.
Do i have it right ?

--
Dimitri Lecas