Using parMetis in petsc for ordering

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 8 15:14:12 CST 2007

  1) The PETSc LU and Cholesky solvers only run sequentially.
  2) The parallel LU and Cholesky solvers PETSc interfaces to, SuperLU_dist,
     MUMPS, Spooles, DSCPACK do NOT accept an external ordering provided for
     them.

   Hence we do not have any setup for doing parallel matrix orderings for
factorizations, since we cannot use them. We could allow calling a parallel
ordering but I'm not sure what it would be useful for.

   Barry