Using library from another linux system

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 9 21:11:52 CST 2007

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Ben Tay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've some problems compiling PETSC on one of my school's server.

send us configure.log at petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov and we take a look
at the problem. Its probably easier to get this working than trying
the alternatives below..

>  I've already compiled a working library on another linux system. Is
> it possible for me to just copy the library from one to
> another. They are both redhat linux system and I think they're
> running on xeon processors.
>
> What are the things which I must looked out for? e.g. directory location
> etc...

It might work [see notes below]

> Can the compiler be of different version? The server I compiled on uses
> ifort 9 or 7 while on the problem system ifort 8 is used.

yeah difference in compiler verson can cause problems..  [I'm not sure
 if there are issues between these intel compiler versions]. If it
 were to work - you can copy the whole petsc tree with 'rsync -a'

> Can the original library be shared or must it be static?

If PETSc was configured with Sharedlibs, there could be issues after
the move. Rebuilding sharedlibs might work arround this problem..

make deleteshraed shared

There could also be issues with external libraries. They need to exist
on the other machine - in the exact same location as the first
one. [otherwise you will get errors at compile time.

Satish