Using ML and options

Hong Zhang hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 16 22:54:18 CDT 2007

Ben,

> I tried to test ml using "-pc_type ml" on my problem. It was working ok
> using LU or hypre/boomeramg. However I got the warning:
>
> Gen_Prolongator warning : max eigen <= 0.0
> Gen_Prolongator warning : max eigen <= 0.0
> Gen_Prolongator warning : max eigen <= 0.0
> Gen_Prolongator warning : max eigen <= 0.0
> Gen_Prolongator warning : max eigen <= 0.0

I got the same warning on using ML for my application, which results
in unacceptable computational
result in my case. I've sent a request to ML developer for its
interpretation yesterday.

> When I use hypre, I used "-pc_type hypre -pc_hypre_type boomeramg which
> gives good and fast result for solving my poisson eqn. Is there a
> recommendation for ml as well?
>
> Moreover, although I got answers from ml, my answer using ml differs
> from LU and hypre from the 3 sig. fig. When I run the example ex2f, I
> get different norms of error:
>
> LU: Norm of error 0.1192E-05 iterations     4
>
> hypre: Norm of error < 1.e-12,iterations     1
>
> ml: Norm of error 0.2098E-03 iterations     2
You may test other available options (see -help),
in particular, find out the smoother and MG cycle used by hypre
and apply the same to ML.

Good luck,

Hong