Support for viewers

Christophe Picard picard2 at llnl.gov
Tue Jun 6 11:21:32 CDT 2006

Hello,

I am new to PETSC. I am writting a 3D code based on PETSC, and I
would like to output the data to SILO format to use with VISIT (visualization
tool). How do I
compile my code to do that?
I have SILO installed in some custom directory. But I don't know how to tell
PETSC where to find SILO.

This is the error message I have now:
[0]PETSC ERROR: Unknown PetscViewer type given: silo!
[0]PETSC ERROR: VecView_MPI() line 778 in src/vec/vec/impls/mpi/pdvec.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: No support for this operation for this object type!
[0]PETSC ERROR: Viewer type (null) not supported for this object!
[0]PETSC ERROR: VecView() line 708 in src/vec/vec/interface/vector.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: VecView_MPI_DA() line 424 in src/dm/da/src/gr2.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: VecView() line 708 in src/vec/vec/interface/vector.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: PetscViewerSetType() line 91
insrc/sys/viewer/interface/viewreg .c

Actually, the same question is valid for HDF and NETCDF formats.

Thank you for your help.
Christophe