[Petsc-trilinos-discussion] Status update, summary remarks

Lois Curfman McInnes curfman at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 26 08:31:34 CST 2013

ASCR has stated that an outcome of the SWP4XS workshop
      http://www.orau.gov/swproductivity2014
will be a report that summarizes challenges/opportunities in extreme-scale scientific software productivity and recommends short-term and long-term research directions.

My understanding of what ASCR wants from our current small project is a document on ideas for addressing a subset of these challenges:  vision for next-generation interoperable HPC software -- not covering everything in software productivity and not providing immediate/short-term fixes for current codes.

There is a distinction between what ASCR wants as a deliverable for this current project (recognizing limited time/resources/scope), and what at least some of ASCR wants from us + the broader community over the longer term.   In particular, ASCR is not asking us to engage the broader community in this little project -- though they want that over the longer term.  And ASCR is not asking us to fix current interoperability issues within the scope of this little project.

As Jed said, just writing a document does not engage the community in working toward long-term solutions.  But a document could be a starting point for a broader discussion.   And identifying current interoperability challenges + ideas for solutions is an important part of this.

I concur with Barry's point about the importance not imposing a 1-size-fits-all model so that the diversity of approaches can continue to thrive.

Lois