[petsc-dev] do all MIS algorithms require a symmetric structure?

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Sun Sep 18 17:58:43 CDT 2022

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 6:19 PM Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev> wrote:

>   Mark,
>
>     Some how your changes to GAMG in June slowed down the time to compute
> the MIS dramatically. I cannot figure out what options to use to
> get the exact same performance as an older branch. -mat_coarsen_type mis
> -pc_gamg_threshold 0 result in longer times than the older code with its
> default options.

The new MIS-2 folds in the square graph with the MIS. Before the square
graph was in a separate method that created an squared graph explicitly.
So don't use aggressive coarsening (you will see a PtAP if you use
aggressive coarsening in the new code)
And -pc_gamg_threshold 0 will filter (zeros only). Use < 0 for no filtering.
The old code also had this optimization to not create a graph for bs==1 and
no filter,

Mark