[petsc-dev] Potential memory leak in PETSc - hypre interface when using Euclid

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Thu Oct 27 15:53:02 CDT 2022

  My quick examination of hypre.c shows the only relevant code in PETSc is

 PetscCall(PetscOptionsEList("-pc_hypre_boomeramg_smooth_type", "Enable more complex smoothers", "None", HYPREBoomerAMGSmoothType, PETSC_STATIC_ARRAY_LENGTH(HYPREBoomerAMGSmoothType), HYPREBoomerAMGSmoothType[0], &indx, &flg));
  if (flg) {
    jac->smoothtype = indx;
    PetscCallExternal(HYPRE_BoomerAMGSetSmoothType, jac->hsolver, indx + 6);

In other words PETSc just sends this option off to hypre and does not create any objects or allocate any memory based on this option.

Thus my conclusion is the memory leak is within hypre. Likely valgrind would locate the exact position easily.