[petsc-dev] PETSc future starting as a new design layer that runs on top of PETSc 3?

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 09:05:50 CDT 2022

On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 at 16:41, Jacob Faibussowitsch <jacob.fai at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Please don't take my words as advocacy for C++
>
> I’m going to pretend like I didn’t read this :)

Whatever the final decision is, PETSc should keep providing a plain C API.
C is lingua franca, C++ is not. Many other programming languages have
runtime FFIs mostly based on the C ABI guarantees (Java, Python, MATLAB,
Rust, Julia, etc). C++ may be great for development, but I do not consider
it great for crossing language boundaries.

Maybe the right approach for petsc4py is to first get nice and modern  C++
bindings implemented by wrapping the C interface. And then map these C++
bindings to Python.

--
Lisandro Dalcin