[petsc-dev] Gitlab workflow discussion with GitLab developers

Scott Kruger kruger at txcorp.com
Fri Jan 21 10:30:16 CST 2022

On 2022-01-20 21:40, Junchao Zhang did write:
> *  Email notification when one is mentioned or added as a reviewer

Like Barry, I get emails on these so I think your notification settings
are off.

> *  Color text in comment box
> *  Click a failed job, run the job with the *updated* branch

I doubt that they will ever allow this because it would get to
complicated, but there are improvements to workflow that could be made.

Ideal workflow:
 - Automatically detects that this is a resubmit, and runs the last
   failed job first; i.e., if linux-cuda-double fails, run that job
   first, and then rerun the rest of the pipeline if it passes (so that
   we get a clean pipeline for the MR).

Current workflow (from Satish) which works but is a pain:
 - Launch pipeline.  Stop it.  Find job on web page and start it
   manually.  If passes, hit run on pipeline.

Less-ideal-but-improved workflow:
Based on what I've seen the team do with the `pages:` job (which I
learned about this week), this might work?

Add something like this to `.test`:

  only:
      variables:
            - $PETSC_RUN_JOB == $TEST_ARCH

So that could then launch a pipeline with:
        PETSC_RUN_JOB = arch-ci-linux-cuda
except I'm pretty sure this won't work based on how those `$`'s are
interpreted.  Thoughts, Satish?

Other-Less-ideal-but=improved workflow:
I tried playing around with setting variables related to tags when you
launch a job; e.g.,
   PETSC_JOB_TAG = gpu:nvidia

where `gpu:nvidia` is a current tag that I also tried to label a job in
other ways, but I couldn't get it to work (documentation made me think
we could do this.  This was a couple of years ago though, and perhaps
they have something like this working.

> *  Allow one to reorder commits (e.g., the fix up commits generated from
> applying comments) and mark commits that should be fixed up
> *  Easily retarget a branch, e.g., from main to release (currently I have
> to checkout to local machine, do rebase, then push)

This is making a git gui in gitlab (GitKraken, gitk, lazygit, etc.)
No disagreement, but the workflow issues should take much higher priority IMO.

Scott

--
Scott Kruger
Tech-X Corporation               kruger at txcorp.com
5621 Arapahoe Ave, Suite A       Phone: (720) 466-3196
Boulder, CO 80303                Fax:   (303) 448-7756