[petsc-dev] Gitlab workflow discussion with GitLab developers

Patrick Sanan patrick.sanan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 04:11:04 CST 2022

Very much agreed that the biggest sort of friction is dealing with MRs from
forks. I suspect that the reason many of the things we want don't work is
because they would be too dangerous to allow a random, possibly malicious,
user to do. E.g. setting labels seems innocuous enough, but all kinds of
workflows, including automated ones, could be based on them. A more likely
problem in our case is that someone could open an MR with
"workflow::Ready-to-Merge" because they guess that it means that from their
perspective it's ready (when to us it means more than that). It would be
easy for that to get merged before being reviewed.

So in asking about all this, maybe we should make sure that we understand
the privilege levels GitLab offers, as maybe we can address the usual case
that the outside person making an MR is a researcher or engineer that one
of us knows (of) and so has some degree of trust in, so there would be no
huge risk in giving them the ability to change labels etc.

(And my pet peeve is that my "todo list" is still swamped by "X set you as
an approver for Y".)