[petsc-dev] PETSc janitorial work

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Tue Aug 23 10:26:44 CDT 2022

> On Aug 23, 2022, at 11:16 AM, Blaise Bourdin <bourdin at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>
> What should be the proper format? Online or in person over a couple of days? Matt and I are about 1h away from each others.
>
> The problem with research and cleaning projects is that we always focus on the fun part (research) and neglect cleaning..
>
> I would personally rank extending the tests coverage pretty high in the priority ranking. Doing so will also help finding flaws in documentation and manual pages.
> This requires very little knowledge of petsc development.
>
> What other low-hanging fruits can anybody think of?

  There are huge chunks of functionality in PETSc that to some degree have manual pages but is not discussed at all or only a tiny bit in the users manual. For example how to use MatProductCreate() is completely missing in the users manual. PetscFE, PetscST, DMSwarm, much of DMPlex and many others are not really in the users manual. Thus it is very difficult for non-hardcore people to get a handle on how to use much of the stuff in PETSc. At a minimum every MANSEC and SUBMANSEC should have a useful introduction to that material. Once we are able to make links from manual pages to the manual, automatically checking for missing MANSEC and SUBMANSEC in the manual would be trivial.

  Barry