[petsc-dev] PETSc janitorial work

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Tue Aug 23 10:13:02 CDT 2022

  I would prefer the term "housekeeping" or some other phrase rather than janitorial.

  I think this is a great idea.

  One of the reasons I like to do housekeeping and keeping up with other people's housekeeping is that you can see what is repetitive and could be automated and simplified as you do seemingly the same thing for the eighth time. If nothing more, you can automate the quantification of where the housekeeping is most needed; for example, automatically generating what manual pages are missing or incomplete, what language stubs are missing etc. Some of the things changing now are 1) automatic rejection of badly formatted source code, 2) automatic rejection of buggy manual pages, 3) automatic rejection of syntax bugs in the user's manual, all with and an indication of where the problems are including as much as possible exact line numbers. Coming eventually will be automatic reports of what lines of source code are not test in the CI.

  Barry