[petsc-dev] goggle still not good at finding petsc.org docs

Patrick Sanan patrick.sanan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 02:18:12 CDT 2021

For some reason for that term, Google returns a "petsc-3.5" URL instead of
a "petsc-current" URL (which redirects). Maybe this was a problem even
before we migrated to Sphinx? I don't have a great idea on how to fix,
other than to slap a "THIS IS NOT CURRENT" label and a link on the top of
all those pages (which is something nice to do, mimicking what
Scikit-learn's website does).

Re the search, it is indeed not rigged to search the man pages (or the HTML
source), because those aren't fully integrated into Sphinx - they are
generated by the "classic" process (involving configuring PETSc) and then
copied into place. Maybe the most efficient way to resolve this is to push
harder to make the man pages properly integrated into the Sphinx build.

In the interest of making public the state of the docs more, I'm going to
transfer the rest of my local notes to GitLab issues with the "doc" label
(for this one, see #1015).