[petsc-dev] -with-kokkos-cuda-arch=AMPERE80 nonsense

Scott Kruger kruger at txcorp.com
Wed Apr 7 16:47:00 CDT 2021

On 2021-04-06 14:44, Matthew Knepley did write:
> > > Does spack have some magic for this we could use?
> > >

> > spack developed the archspec repo to abstract all of these issues:
> > https://github.com/archspec/archspec
>

> I do not love it. Besides the actual code (you can always complain about
> code),
> they do not really do any tests. They go look in a few places that data
> should be.
> We can do the same thing in probably 10x less code. It would be great to
> actually
> test the hardware to verify.

My impression is that the current project is languishing because they
are focusing on the spack side right now.   But if this is the project
that is the ECP-annointed solution, then it has the best chance of
succeeding through sheer resources.

The thing I like the best is that having a stand-alone project to handle
these issues is a real forehead-slapper (i.e., "why didn't I think of
that?!").  Todd Gamblin has stated that the goal is to allow vendors to
contribute because it will be in their interest to contribute.  This
should have been done years ago.

Regarding whether we could do better:  Now would actually be a good time
to contribute while the project is young, but I don't have the time
(like everyone else which is why this is a perennial problem).   It
would also be a good time to create a separate project if this one is
too annoying for folks.  In general, like spack, they have done a good
job on the interface so that part is important.

Scott

--
Scott Kruger
Tech-X Corporation               kruger at txcorp.com
5621 Arapahoe Ave, Suite A       Phone: (720) 466-3196
Boulder, CO 80303                Fax:   (303) 448-7756