[petsc-dev] reminder on managing your merge requests MR

Patrick Sanan patrick.sanan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 08:26:04 CDT 2020

> Am 29.09.2020 um 08:16 schrieb Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev>:
>

>> On Sep 29, 2020, at 12:43 AM, Patrick Sanan <patrick.sanan at gmail.com <mailto:patrick.sanan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>> Am 29.09.2020 um 02:12 schrieb Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev <mailto:bsmith at petsc.dev>>:
>>>

>>>   This is a reminder for everyone submitting MR.
>>>
>>>   You are responsible to track the progress of the MR. Make sure you use the
>>>
>>>     label workflow:review when you think it is ready to be reviewed for merge, add additional appropriate labels also
>>>     assign some appropriate reviewers
>>>
>>>     make sure it gets tested
>>>
>>>     when you resolve the reviewer concerns (called threads) make sure you mark them as resolved
>>>
>>>     Once the tests are clean and the MR has been approved
>>>        -  change the workflow label to workflow: ready for merge
>>>        - assign Satish and no one else to the MR.
>>>
>>>  By following this workflow less MR will get "lost"
>>>
>>>  Thanks
>>>
>>>  Barry
>>>
>>>  With the new documentation approach in place we'll provide more detailed information on submitting MR and even videos :-) soon.
>>>

>> For now, the guidelines are defined are on the wiki, e.g. https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/wikis/home#before-filing-a-merge-request <https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/wikis/home#before-filing-a-merge-request>
>> Some of the other wiki pages are stale (discussing what to do with "next", etc.,)
>>
>> The idea was to migrate this info to Sphinx as well. This would be less quick to edit, but more centralized and full-featured.
>>
>> On the topic of docs edits, is it okay to label a docs-only edit (which could break only docs) as "ready to merge", and assign Satish, from the start?
>> This would of course have to be used with extreme caution, but it's my hope that people would be able to notice and fix small typos and errors without losing the thread of what you're working on, and with low integration overhead (which is one thing the wiki does extremely well).
>
> Yes, good idea. We could even have another person be the assigned person and do the merges so Satish doesn't get even more work.
>
> I'd like to know an easy way to do the changes and MR from the web rather than needing to drop into the command line for making the branches to MR. Maybe that could be documented first?
>
>   Barry

Added a section here (which can be directly edited): https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/wikis/Home#docs-only-changes <https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/wikis/Home#docs-only-changes>
(this should still be moved to the Sphinx docs, so we can easily link to it from the other developers docs)

And opened a MR here, using the instructions detailed in the MR: https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/merge_requests/3282 <https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/merge_requests/3282>