[petsc-dev] PDIPDM questions

Abhyankar, Shrirang G shrirang.abhyankar at pnnl.gov
Mon Sep 14 19:21:24 CDT 2020

Hello Pierre,
   PDIPM works in parallel so you can have distributed Hessian, Jacobians, constraints, variables, gradients in any layout you want.  If you are using a DM then you can have it generate the Hessian.

Ideally, you want to have the layout below to minimize movement of matrix/vector elements across ranks.

  *   The layout of vectors x, bounds on x, and gradient is same.
  *   The row layout of the equality/inequality Jacobian is same as the equality/inequality constraint vector layout.
  *   The column layout of the equality/inequality Jacobian is same as that for x.
  *   The row and column layout for the Hessian is same as x.

The tutorial example ex1 is extremely small (only 2 variables) so its implementation is very simplistic. I think, in parallel, it ships off constraints etc. to rank 0. It’s not an ideal example w.r.t demonstrating a parallel implementation. We aim to add more examples as we develop PDIPM. If you have an example to contribute then we would most welcome it and provide help on adding it.

Thanks,
Shri