[petsc-dev] DMPlex + Cohesive Cells Setup

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 08:28:27 CDT 2020

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 5:39 PM Jacob Faibussowitsch <jacob.fai at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> What is the simplest possible configuration required to insert cohesive
> cells into a plex? Plex/tests/ex5.c would be the example to ape here but
> there is a lot there that I don’t (think) I need like a DS or any kind of
> physics. For now, I am essentially looking to:
>
> 1. Read the mesh
> 2. Perform some mesh analysis
> 3. Slap some cohesive cells along one/multiple areas identified in the
> previous step (maybe even everywhere?)
> 4. Save the new mesh
>
> This doesn’t even have to parallel.

You can try it out easily. If it does not give you what you want, we can
fix that up.

https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/DMPLEX/DMPlexConstructCohesiveCells.html
will
give you back a mesh
with the cohesive cells inserted. For input, you need a suitable label.

https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/DMPLEX/DMPlexLabelCohesiveComplete.html#DMPlexLabelCohesiveComplete
 starts
with a label marking vertices on an internal surface and creates the label
needed by the call above.

Let me know if that works.