[petsc-dev] Makefile.user and CUDA

Patrick Sanan patrick.sanan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 02:44:31 CDT 2020

I have a toy application code built on PETSc which needs to compile and link a .cu file.

I'd love to be able to configure PETSc (with CUDA), and then use a modified version of share/petsc/Makefile.user to compile and link my code, using a consistent set of compilers, libraries, and flags.  Makefile.user uses petsc.pc (via pkg-config) and implicit GNU make rules to do almost everything for you for C, C++, and Fortran.

However, I don't think it currently supports CUDA, and I'm not familiar enough with BuildSystem or pkg-config to quickly add support myself, so I resort to the "old" way, including things like this in my Makefile:

include ${PETSC_DIR}/${PETSC_ARCH}/lib/petsc/conf/petscvariables

%.o : %.cu
        $(CUDAC) -c $(CUDAC_FLAGS) $(CUDA_INCLUDE) -o $@ $<

app : ${OBJ}
        $(LINK.cc) -o $@ $^ $(LDLIBS) $(CUDA_LIB)

Is it possible / easy / advisable to add CUDA support to petsc.pc ?