[petsc-dev] Understanding -log_summary with GPUs

Abhyankar, Shrirang G shrirang.abhyankar at pnnl.gov
Tue Mar 10 14:33:07 CDT 2020

Hello all,
  I need help in understanding the output from -log_summary for the GPU related columns. I am currently simply setting -vec_type seqcuda which I believe performs the vector operations on the GPU. With -vec_type seqcuda, I presumed all vector operations are being done on the GPU. So, only the GPU MFlops will be logged, and CPU MFlops will be zero. But, -log_summary reports Mflops for both CPU and GPU. I do not understand why Mflops are shown both for CPU and GPU?

What is the meaning of the last column – percent flops on the GPU? For instance, some operations such as VecDot show 100 %F, while others like VecAXPY have less. What is the meaning of this?

Any other general comments on these numbers?

Shri