[petsc-dev] Make libs makes ./$PETSC_ARCH

Jacob Faibussowitsch jacob.fai at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:59:41 CDT 2020

Hello All,

To build petsc from anywhere I always use “make libs”, but I recently discovered that this makes a $PETSC_ARCH/ folder in the current directory that includes tests/testfiles. Testfiles is completely empty, and doesn’t seem to do anything. I’ve been spamming this around my machine over the past few months, resulting in A LOT of these arch folders littered around the place.

I’m wondering if this is not a bug in the make recipe? Should it be ${PETSC_DIR}/${PETSC_ARCH}/tests/testfiles instead of ./${PETSC_ARCH}/tests/testfiles?

libs: ${PETSC_DIR}/${PETSC_ARCH}/lib/petsc/conf/files ./${PETSC_ARCH}/tests/testfiles <-------------------------------
        + at cd ${PETSC_DIR} && MAKEFLAGS="-j$(MAKE_NP) -l$(MAKE_LOAD) $(MAKEFLAGS)" ${OMAKE_PRINTDIR} -f gmakefile ${MAKE_PAR_OUT_FLG} V=${V} libs

Best regards,

Jacob Faibussowitsch
(Jacob Fai - booss - oh - vitch)
Cell: (312) 694-3391