[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] PETSc and Windows 10

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 30 10:53:15 CDT 2020

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020, Pierre Jolivet wrote:

> (moving to petsc-dev, feel free to continue the “general” discussion on petsc-users)
>
> > On 29 Jun 2020, at 10:03 PM, Pierre Jolivet <pierre.jolivet at enseeiht.fr> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry for the noise, but maybe it’s better to put this in PETSc ./configure, like you did here Satish https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/commit/2cd8068296b34e127f055bb32f556e3599f17523 <https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/commit/2cd8068296b34e127f055bb32f556e3599f17523> ?
> > If Gfortran100 && MS-MPI, then FFLAGS += "-fallow-invalid-boz"
> > WDY(PETSc-)GT?
>
> So, it looks like -fallow-invalid-boz is not as old as I thought…
> g++.exe (Rev1, Built by MSYS2 project) 9.3.0
> Running Executable WITHOUT threads to time it out
> Executing: gfortran -c -o /tmp/petsc-kmp34jh9/config.setCompilers/conftest.o -I/tmp/petsc-kmp34jh9/config.setCompilers -fallow-invalid-boz  /tmp/petsc-kmp34jh9/config.setCompilers/conftest.F90
> Possible ERROR while running compiler: exit code 1
> stderr:
> gfortran.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-fallow-invalid-boz'
> Source:
>       program main
>
>       end
>           Error testing Fortran compiler: Cannot compile FC with gfortran.
>             Deleting "FC"
> Again, would it be OK if I add a check in MPI.py to force this option when isGfortran100plus and defined(HAVE_MSMPI)? Or do we expect Windows users to know about this ninja gfortran flag?

the flags in package.py are usually for --download-package. I don't know if we add such flags to petsc build here.

configure is a bit convoluted - so I can't say exactly where this would go.

Also we have to add them in such a way the user specified FFLAGS override default FFLAGS configure detects. So likely some hack [from MPI side] in config/BuildSystem/config/compilerOptions.py

> Is this tested on some Cygwin box (MS-MPI 10.1.2 + gfortran 10)?
> I see arch-ci-mswin-intel.py is using MS-MPI (which version?) but with ifort.

I don't know if one can use native libraries from cygwin/gcc gfortran. So we don't support this.

Primary windows builds  builds are for native compilers - i.e MS, Intel [using cygwin build tools] - and they can use MS-MPI and IntelMPI

Satish