[petsc-dev] Release of communication system for discussion petsc-future

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Mon Jun 22 09:31:26 CDT 2020

  After our prediscussion on software tools for a discussion on future design plans for PETSc I have started to set up GitLab issues in the PETSc project to manage the discussion. They begin with https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/issues/643 <https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/issues/643>

   Each has

     the label petsc-future
     the milestone petsc-future
     and the name of its issue starts with Petsc-future.    If you add new issues please use the same template for the introduction and add the label and milestones

   My filter for email is: if from is gitlab at mg.gitlab.com <mailto:gitlab at mg.gitlab.com>  and subject contains "petsc | Petsc-future"

    The goal of the initial discussions is to get  broad and creative ideas on techniques to overcome current PETSc limitations. It is not bash or point out flaws in other suggestions (that comes later).  So no idea is too crazy. Differential geometry?

    Once we seem to have run out of fresh ideas on the issues we can move to phase two which will be a more critical analysis of the possibilities.

    I want to give the petsc-dev group the first stab at the issues and will make broader announcements in the next few days. I will also be updating the "rules" in https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/issues/643 <https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/issues/643>  occasionally so keep an eye on them.

   Thanks for the idea of using issues and how to use them for the discussion, seems like a good choice.