[petsc-dev] Question about MPICH device we use

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 22 13:23:17 CDT 2020

Primarily because ch3:sock performance does not degrade in oversubscribe mode - which is developer friendly - i.e on your laptop.

And folks doing optimized runs should use a properly tuned MPI for their setup anyway.

In this case --download-mpich-device=ch3:nemesis is likely appropriate if using --download-mpich [and not using a separate/optimized MPI]

Having defaults that satisfy all use cases is not practical.

Satish