[petsc-dev] Question about MPICH device we use

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Wed Jul 22 13:18:19 CDT 2020

  Because nemesis does function in a reasonable way when the system is oversubscribed, that is there are more MPI ranks than cores. Many users getting started have whatever number of cores  (4?) but want to run tests with a few more ranks, this is not feasible with nemesis. In addition with the test harness we don't need to worry about the oversubscription issue and can run any number of ranks on any system.

  A possible alternative which means digging in the guts slightly is to default to nemesis BUT at PetscInitialize() if the user has selected more ranks than cores, stop and tell them they can't do that with nemesis and they must use sock if they want to do that. For the CI we would always use sock.

   Barry