[petsc-dev] MacOS firewall annoyance while running tests + solution

Hapla Vaclav vaclav.hapla at erdw.ethz.ch
Mon Aug 31 04:10:36 CDT 2020

On 29 Aug 2020, at 05:44, Satish Balay via petsc-dev <petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:

Likely firewall is disabled.

I've recently rebuild a bunch of boxes  - and don't remember explicity disabling firewall. [well I did something to enable ssh - maybe that was disabling firewall]

I see the firewall is disabled on all of them

balay at ypro ~ % defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf globalstate
0
balay at ypro ~ %

Ref: https://raymii.org/s/snippets/OS_X_-_Turn_firewall_on_or_off_from_the_command_line.html

BTW: Perhaps the following setting will prevent popups? [but it might break stuff that need network?]

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf globalstate -int 2

2 = on for essential services

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3148672

So I don't think that's an option for normal people - I don't think anybody is keen to limit the network functionality on their laptop (e.g. disable Spotify) just for sake of PETSc testing.

So I still think the automated targeted firewall rules I propose are better for most guys. The question is how much automated solution we want to offer.

Vaclav

Satish