[petsc-dev] Configure won't find python

Jacob Faibussowitsch jacob.fai at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 13:47:14 CDT 2020

> They won't have /usr/bin/python unless they explicitly install
> python-is-python3.  Since no packages should depend on
> python-is-python3, only Python users who work with unpackaged software
> (Python developers and developer-adjacents) *and* learn about it will
> have it.  It means PETSc should work with systems that don't have python
> in their path.

Perhaps adopting valgrinds model might be more appropriate in that case?

They require you run autogen.sh (which I don’t know that we need), and then configure which runs in shell and does the configure. We don’t necessarily have to do all of our configure in shell, just find a suitable python and call configure_in_python.py. I don’t know how they get around not having to chmod+x the shell scripts however, maybe because configure.sh has the shebang (!# /usr/bin/env sh) in it already?

Best regards,

Jacob Faibussowitsch
(Jacob Fai - booss - oh - vitch)
Cell: (312) 694-3391