[petsc-dev] Configure won't find python

Victor Eijkhout eijkhout at tacc.utexas.edu
Sat Apr 18 12:22:06 CDT 2020

On , 2020Apr18, at 10:32, Satish Balay via petsc-dev <petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:

I'm guessing that most installs will have  /usr/bin/python as python2 or python3

At TACC we dearly wish we could remove /usr/bin/python but it’s needed at system level.

We install our own python2 & python3 which become available under that name if you load the appropriate module. Our installation links to MKL and has other optimizations, as well as bumpy, scipy, & various other popular packages installed.

My installation script does:

module load python3
if [ "${P4P}" -eq 1 ] ; then
  export petsc4py="--download-petsc4py=yes --with-python=1 --with-python-exec=python3"
fi

FWIW.

V.