[petsc-dev] CUDA + OMP make error

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Mon Apr 13 11:05:03 CDT 2020

I think the problem is that you have to turn off logging with openmp and
the (newish) GPU timers did not protect their timers.

I don't see a good reason to require logging be turned off with OMP. We
could use PETSC_HAVE_THREADSAFETY to protect logs that we care about (eg,
in MatSetValues) and as users discover more things that they want to call
in an OMP thread block, then tell them to turn logging off and we will fix
it when we can.

Any thoughts on the idea of letting users keep logging with openmp?