[petsc-dev] error with karlrupp/fix-cuda-streams

Balay, Satish balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 25 21:25:38 CDT 2019

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019, Mark Adams via petsc-dev wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 8:40 PM Balay, Satish <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > > Unable to run jsrun -g 1 with option "-n 1"
> > > Error: It is only possible to use js commands within a job allocation
> > > unless CSM is running
> >

> > Nope  this is a different error message.
> >
> > The message suggests - you can't run 'jsrun -g 1 -n 1 binary' Can you try
> > this manually and see
> > what you get?
> >
> > jsrun -g 1 -n 1 printenv
> >

> I tested this earlier today and originally when I was figuring out the/a
> minimal run command:
>
> 22:08  /gpfs/alpine/geo127/scratch/adams$ jsrun -g 1 -n 1 printenv
> GIT_PS1_SHOWDIRTYSTATE=1
> XDG_SESSION_ID=494
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> HISTSIZE=100
> PETSC_ARCH=arch-summit-opt64-pgi-cuda
> SSH_CLIENT=160.91.202.152 48626 22
> LC_ALL=
> USER=adams

from configure.log:

Executing: jsrun -g 1 -n 1 printenv
<snip>
Unable to run jsrun -g 1 with option "-n 1"
Error: It is only possible to use js commands within a job allocation unless CSM is running
09-25-2019 22:11:56:169 68747 main: Error initializing RM connection. Exiting.
<<<<<

Its the exact same command. I don't know why it would work from shell for you - but not form configure.

If jsrun is not functional from configure, alternatives are --with-mpiexec=/bin/true or --with-batch=1

Satish