[petsc-dev] BlockGetIndices and GetBlockIndices

Pierre Jolivet pierre.jolivet at enseeiht.fr
Wed Oct 16 02:50:49 CDT 2019

Hello,
I’m trying to understand what is the rationale for naming a function ISBlockGetIndices and another ISLocalToGlobalMappingGetBlockIndices (BlockGet vs. GetBlock).
Also, it looks to me like the implementation of ISBlockGetIndices is somehow less versatile than ISLocalToGlobalMappingGetBlockIndices.
Indeed, I may call ISLocalToGlobalMappingGetBlockIndices with an underlying non-block IS, while I can’t for ISBlockGetIndices, so a check must be performed by the user, e.g., https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/vec/is/is/examples/tutorials/ex3.c.html#line58 <https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/vec/is/is/examples/tutorials/ex3.c.html#line58> or this (IMHO) ugly code duplication https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-dev/src/vec/is/utils/isltog.c.html#line322 <https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-dev/src/vec/is/utils/isltog.c.html#line322>.

Thoughts and/or comments? Would it make sense to add an ISGetBlockIndices/ISRestoreBlockIndices or would that be too confusing for the user?

Thanks,
Pierre