[petsc-dev] Why no SpGEMM support in AIJCUSPARSE and AIJVIENNACL?

Karl Rupp rupp at iue.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Oct 3 03:12:26 CDT 2019

> Do you have any experience with nsparse?
>
> https://github.com/EBD-CREST/nsparse
>
> I've seen claims that it is much faster than cuSPARSE for sparse
> matrix-matrix products.

I haven't tried nsparse, no.

But since the performance comes from a hardware feature (cache), I would
be surprised if there is a big performance leap over ViennaCL. (There's
certainly some potential for some tweaking of ViennaCL's kernels; but
note that even ViennaCL is much faster than cuSPARSE's spGEMM on average).

With the libaxb-wrapper we can just add nsparse as an operations backend
and then easily try it out and compare against the other packages. In
the end it doesn't matter which package provides the best performance;
we just want to leverage it :-)

Best regards,
Karli