[petsc-dev] do PETSC_VIEWER_{HDF5,BINARY}_ need to exist?

Patrick Sanan patrick.sanan at gmail.com
Wed May 8 07:08:05 CDT 2019

Am Mi., 8. Mai 2019 um 14:03 Uhr schrieb Matthew Knepley via petsc-dev <
petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov>:

> On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 7:41 AM Hapla Vaclav via petsc-dev <
> petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I just encountered their manpages and it's a mess. I think in case of
>> file I/O, a user should be deliberate about filename and other settings.
>> Sometimes less is more and I think this is the case. Why anybody should use
>> PETSC_VIEWER_BINARY_(comm) and then set the filename with environment
>> variable? Better to use PetscObjectViewFromOptions for instance
>> (PETSC_OPTIONS can be used if one wants to use env var).
>>
>> (And BTW in case of HDF5, the option -viewer_hdf5_filename is not
>> processed anywhere.)
>>
>> Any objections about removing these?
>>

> I am fine with it. The new system is better.
>
> Since these are user interface, we should deprecate them somehow. Will the
> normal deprecation work?

These are functions (albeit weirdly-named ones which don't return error
codes), so one would assume that the usual function deprecation procedure
would work, and then things like PETSC_VIEWER_BINARY_WORLD would also show
up as deprecated.