[petsc-dev] do PETSC_VIEWER_{HDF5,BINARY}_ need to exist?

Hapla Vaclav vaclav.hapla at erdw.ethz.ch
Wed May 8 06:41:48 CDT 2019

Hello

I just encountered their manpages and it's a mess. I think in case of file I/O, a user should be deliberate about filename and other settings. Sometimes less is more and I think this is the case. Why anybody should use PETSC_VIEWER_BINARY_(comm) and then set the filename with environment variable? Better to use PetscObjectViewFromOptions for instance (PETSC_OPTIONS can be used if one wants to use env var).

(And BTW in case of HDF5, the option -viewer_hdf5_filename is not processed anywhere.)

Any objections about removing these?

Vaclav