[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] Bad memory scaling with PETSc 3.10

Zhang, Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 22 12:19:47 CDT 2019

Fande,
The images are very interesting and helpful. How did you get these images?

Petsc PtAP uses 753MB for PtAPSymbolic and only 116MB for PtAPNumeric,
while hypre uses 215MB -- it seems hypre does not implement symbolic PtAP.

When I implement PtAP, my focus was on numeric part because it was used repeatedly. Now we should look at symbolic part and optimize it. It should have room for improvement or new algorithmic approach.
We also need understand the algorithm and implementation used hypre.

Hong