[petsc-dev] https://www.dursi.ca/post/hpc-is-dying-and-mpi-is-killing-it.html

Mills, Richard Tran rtmills at anl.gov
Tue Mar 19 00:27:20 CDT 2019

I've seen this quite some time ago. Others in this thread have already articulated many of the same criticisms I have with the material in this blog post, as well as some of the problems that I have with MPI, so I'll content myself by asking the following:

If HPC is as dying as this guy says it is, then

* Why did DOE just announce today that they are spending $500 million on the first (there are *more* coming?) US-based exascale computing system?

* Why are companies like Intel, NVIDIA, Mellanox, etc., managing to sell so much HPC hardware?

and if it is all the fault of MPI, then

* Why have a bunch of the big machine-learning shops actually been moving towards more use of MPI?

Yeah, MPI has plenty of warts. So does Fortran -- yet that hasn't killed scientific computing.

--Richard