[petsc-dev] How long?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 06:19:03 CDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:34 AM Smith, Barry F. via petsc-dev <
petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    I think it is totally insane that the entire Linux kernel is
> implemented in C in 2019. Probably only 5 percent of the source needs to be
> implemented in a low level language like C and the rest could be written in
> a higher level language for enormous improvement in maintainability and
> extensibility.

I am not sure. I have a sizable code (PyLith) written in a mixture of C and
Python for exactly this reason. It is impossible to debug, which counts
against maintainabiltiy for me. If your C layer is anything but perfect,
you have problems. This would be even harder in a language farther from C
than Python. Also, C is pretty extensible. Much more so than most
languages. If I thought I would save myself tons of time, I would change.
However, anything I have ever tried faltered just when you want it to start
working for you.

  Matt