[petsc-dev] How long?

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 11 23:34:08 CDT 2019

   I think it is totally insane that the entire Linux kernel is implemented in C in 2019. Probably only 5 percent of the source needs to be implemented in a low level language like C and the rest could be written in a higher level language for enormous improvement in maintainability and extensibility. Similarly it is insane that the GNU portion of Linux/GNU is written in C instead of a higher level language.

   Barry

  And yes Linux is not very extendable. It is just a rewrite of a 40+ year old OS (yes with some improvements and extensions, I'll give you that).