[petsc-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: external preconditioner availablilty for PETSc

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 16:59:04 CST 2019

Heeho,

Based on the equations shown in the papers Glenn pointed out, it looks like
you're solving at least a two-field problem (with elliptic operators on the
diagonals) that needs to be approximated with a schur complement. If so,
then naively applying *any* preconditioner (ilu, AMG, etc) on the entire
NxN system (where N >= 2) is never going to work. Did you try using the
PCFieldSplit (with the multiplicative option) and apply these different
black-box preconditioners on the diagonal blocks? Because if that doesn't
work, then you really need to do the schur complement, and the particularly
strategy they mentioned (taking the diagonal of the A11 block) to
approximate the Schur complement matrix can be done via the "selfp" option
in PETSc.

Justin