[petsc-dev] PETSc Meeting errata

Jakub Kruzik jakub.kruzik at vsb.cz
Fri Jun 14 14:53:37 CDT 2019

The problem is that you need to write the file with an optimal stripe
count/size in the first place. An unaware user who just uses something
like cp will end up with the default stripe count which is usually 1.

For large files, you should just set the stripe count to the number of
OSTs. Your results seem to support this.

For the small mesh and 64 nodes, you are reading just 2 MiB per process.
I think that collective I/O should give you a significant improvement.

Also, it would be interesting to know what performance you get from a
single process reading from a single OST. I think you should be able to
get 0.5-2.5 GiB/s which is what you are getting from 36 OSTs (~70 MiB/s
per OST).

BTW, since you also used Salomon for testing, I found some old tests I
did there with pure MPI I/O, and I was able to get 18.5 GiB/s read for 1
GiB file on 108 processes / 54 nodes, 54 OSTs, 4 MiB stripe.

Best,

Jakub