[petsc-dev] valid_GPU_matrix in interface code

Karl Rupp rupp at iue.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jul 23 09:33:18 CDT 2019

Hi Stefano,

> I have just noticed we have different occurrences of the
> valid_GPU_matrix flag in src/mat/interface and src/mat/utils
> I think that how they are used now is wrong, as they assume that all
> those operations can only be executed on the CPU, irrespective of the
> specific type.
> Is there any plan to fix this? If not, I can take care of it, I am
> currently writing a dense matrix for CUDA here
> https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/branch/stefano_zampini/cuda

there is going to be a major reorganization of the GPU code over the
next few weeks, cf.
  https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/issues/322/working-group-gpus
This, however, is pretty much orthogonal to your development of a dense
matrix type. Once your branch is ready, it can be rather easily adopted.

As for the valid_GPU_matrix flag: This will be fixed alongside the the
GPU reorganization. However, it might take 2-3 weeks until I finally get
to that part. I guess you will need it sooner?

Best regards,
Karli