[petsc-dev] Two question about DM API

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 06:29:24 CDT 2019

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 at 09:11, Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    Lisandro,
>
>     Both plans look good to me. Remove DMCreateAggregates completely and
> reactor DMHasCreateInjection.

Barry, I need a bit of help. What should we do for DMDA?

1) Should the code used in DMCreateAggregates_DA be used to implement a new
DMCreateRestriction_DA (which is not currently implemented), or should I
just kill DMCreateAggregates_DA ? This approach is dangerous, right now any
code using DMDA implicitly uses the transpose of interpolation to define
restriction (because DMCreateRestriction_DA is not available).

2) Or maybe rename DMCreateAggregates_DA to a new public
DMDACreateAggregates() routine, just in case some third party is using it?
And then add a deprecation for DMCreateAggregates pointing to the
DMDACreateAggregates().

I'm inclined to go with option (2), and I'll start working on it. If you
prefer (1), it is trivial to refactor.

--
Lisandro Dalcin