[petsc-dev] error with --download-amgx

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 3 19:50:02 CST 2019

  The first error is

nvcc error   : 'cicc' died due to signal 9 (Kill signal)
nvcc error   : 'cicc' died due to signal 9 (Kill signal)

later

/autofs/nccs-svm1_home1/adams/petsc/arch-summit-opt64-gnu-cuda/externalpackages/git.amgx/base/src/amgx_c_common.cu(77): catastrophic error: error while writing generated C++ file: Cannot allocate memory

1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of "/tmp/tmpxft_000038d3_00000000-4_amgx_c_common.cpp4.ii".

  Whatever machine you are compiling on seems to be overloaded. What does top show? Can you log into "different" compiler servers on Summit?

  I run the install on the utk system with no problems like this.

PETSc configure is deciding

TEST configureMakeNP from config.packages.make(/autofs/nccs-svm1_home1/adams/petsc/config/BuildSystem/config/packages/make.py:168)
TESTING: configureMakeNP from config.packages.make(config/BuildSystem/config/packages/make.py:168)
  check no of cores on the build machine [perhaps to do make '-j ncores']
          module multiprocessing found 128 cores: using make_np = 59
            Defined make macro "MAKE_NP" to "59"
            Defined make macro "MAKE_TEST_NP" to "49"
            Defined make macro "MAKE_LOAD" to "166.4"
            Defined make macro "NPMAX" to "128"

then somehow this gets passed down to the AMGX cmake. Perhaps you could try less greedy numbers.

Executing: /usr/bin/gmake -j59 -l166.4

Perhaps try

--with-make-np=20

--with-make-load=20