[petsc-dev] Working Group Beginners: Feedback On Layout

Faibussowitsch, Jacob jfaibussowitsch at anl.gov
Fri Aug 16 17:31:39 CDT 2019

> I'm concerned that the code is copied in rather than referenced from its
> original source.  I think you modify to use start-at and end-at to
> extract the pieces.

You are correct, that is something Patrick mentioned when showing us the format for the first time, its just a limitation of him throwng together this template. In the finished version it will directly link to source code within the Petsc repo. Currently he has that specific example sitting in the same folder, so we made sure that direct code linking works.

> I don't think it's necessary to discuss every part, but it would be
> useful to have more prose (perhaps with equations/diagrams) between
> blocks.

Fair point, that is something we are trying to gauge from users (how much explanation is too much). Our design philosophy in this case is not to assume any knowledge on the part of the reader of the guide in order to make it as accessible as possible, but of course that should have its limits.

> I'd like for each function to be clickable, like it is in our current
> documentation and in Doxygen.  (We've been chatting about this in
> previous discussion, but haven't found a clean solution.)

Yeah in the finished product Patrick said that every highlighted function would link back to the Petsc manual or man pages, but he said it might require some effort writing a separate sphinx environment for it. Im not very well versed in this part so I’m just paraphrasing from what I remember him telling us in the meeting but that’s the goal.

Ill pass your mail onto the rest of the team, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Best,

Jacob