[petsc-dev] GCC8 Fortran length changes from int to size_t

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed May 2 12:27:15 CDT 2018

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
>> Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:

>> > How would you know your fix was correct?
>>
>> Documentation and/or reading assembly.
>

> Its good that tests are superfluous for code you write because it conforms
> to standards and
> you check the assembly. We should take out all the SF tests. That would
> decrease runtime.

Dude, it's nothing alike.  This is about a calling convention (something
not defined by the standard, and where "getting it wrong" gives
undefined behavior rather than a defined error).  The current configure
does not attempt to get a failing test for HAVE_FORTRAN_MIXED_STR_ARG,
which is the closest analogy.  Your insistence on us demonstrating
failing code is like being informed of an obvious security hole (e.g.,
unvalidated sprintf) and insisting on a working exploit before patching.