[petsc-dev] Tests are not working for me in next

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 19 16:01:13 CDT 2018

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018, Jed Brown wrote:

> >> Right, but that would prevent it from working in the build directory.
> >
> >   I could care less about it working from the build directory. We don't test there anyways.
>
> I believe "make test" currently depends on it.

Well - with prefix install - we prompt 'make test' after 'make install' and suggest using PETSC_DIR=prefixdir

balay at ipro^~/petsc(next) $ make all
<snip>
Now to install the libraries do:
make PETSC_DIR=/Users/balay/petsc PETSC_ARCH=arch-prefix install
Finishing make run at Mon, 19 Mar 2018 14:52:38 -0500
balay at ipro^~/petsc(next) $ make PETSC_DIR=/Users/balay/petsc PETSC_ARCH=arch-prefix install
*** Using PETSC_DIR=/Users/balay/petsc PETSC_ARCH=arch-prefix ***
*** Installing PETSc at prefix location: /Users/balay/pinstall  ***
====================================
Install complete.
Now to check if the libraries are working do (in current directory):
make PETSC_DIR=/Users/balay/pinstall PETSC_ARCH="" test
====================================
/usr/bin/make  --no-print-directory PETSC_ARCH=arch-prefix PETSC_DIR=/Users/balay/petsc mpi4py-install petsc4py-install libmesh-install slepc-install
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `mpi4py-install'.
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `petsc4py-install'.
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `libmesh-install'.
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `slepc-install'.
balay at ipro^~/petsc(next) $ make PETSC_DIR=/Users/balay/pinstall PETSC_ARCH="" test
Running test examples to verify correct installation
Using PETSC_DIR=/Users/balay/pinstall and PETSC_ARCH=
C/C++ example src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 run successfully with 1 MPI process
C/C++ example src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 run successfully with 2 MPI processes
Fortran example src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex5f run successfully with 1 MPI process
Completed test examples
Now to evaluate the computer systems you plan use - do:
make PETSC_DIR=/Users/balay/pinstall PETSC_ARCH= streams
balay at ipro^~/petsc(next) $

However - packagers - if they run tests - might do this during the package build from the builddir?

Satish