[petsc-dev] Opening XML performance log files in browsers

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 15:59:50 CDT 2018

Making it work with the official instructions is cumbersome and I
could not mange to get it working. Running `python3 -m http.server` is
far easier, but you still have to copy the XSL file to the working
directory. So I got totally upset and wrote my own solution, because
you know, complaints should come with new code or patches.

Anyone interested, please download and chmod +x the attached Python
script (should run with either Py 2 or Py 3).

Any suggestions to improve it most welcome. Only tested on Mac with
Homebrew Python 2 and 3 and Google Chrome. I'll test it tomorrow on
Linux.

Barry, please tell me if this look good enough to add to PETSc under
$PESTC_DIR/lib/petsc/bin

Note: This looks in $PETSC_DIR for the XSL file, if not found it is
read and served on the fly from official git repo branch maint.

Note: The default port "0" in the code means that the OS will pick a
random free port. Seems the right thing to do for this particular use
case. Not sure how well this plays with firewalls.

$ ./petsc-performance-view
usage: petsc-performance-view [-h] [-b ADDRESS] [-p PORT] LOGFILE
petsc-performance-view: error: too few arguments

$ ./petsc-performance-view -h
usage: petsc-performance-view [-h] [-b ADDRESS] [-p PORT] LOGFILE

Open a new browser window to visualize a PETSc XML log file.

positional arguments:
  LOGFILE               PETSc XML log filename

optional arguments:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -b ADDRESS, --bind ADDRESS
                        Specify bind address
  -p PORT, --port PORT  Specify port

$ ./petsc-performance-view log.xml
# should open browser with log.xml
# and the script should exit immediately
# to not seize your command line

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 0109
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459