[petsc-dev] good partitioning packages?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 18:40:39 CDT 2018

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 7:09 PM, Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    Fande,
>
>        This is a great question. I am forwarding it to Mike Heroux who has
> a high level position in the ECP; because I have similar concerns and also
> don't have a good answer. ParMetis does indeed have a poor license and
> essentially no support. Perhaps Mike has some ideas.

Also, the parallel scalability is crappy (sorry George). Bill Gropp has
proposed in the past developing a new
partitioner along more scalable lines, such as the Teng algorithm used in
Padma's 2013 SC paper
(https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2503280). Jed favors a multilevel
approach which I do not understand.
Its a shame that all the development time that went into PT-Scotch could
not produce a scalable, open
partitioner. Also, the label-push stuff seems only to work well for highly
connected graphs, not meshes.

   Matt