[petsc-dev] Bad scaling of GAMG in FieldSplit

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Fri Jul 27 10:21:35 CDT 2018

> Everything is fine with GAMG I think, please find the (trimmed) -eps_view
> attached.

This looks fine. The eigen estimates are pretty low, but I don't know what
they really are.

> The problem is that, correct me if I’m wrong, there is no easy way to
> redistribute data efficiently from within PETSc when using fieldsplit with
> unbalanced number of unknowns per field.

Note, as you scale up the coarse grids become more important re complexity.
So the process reduction and potential repartitioning will become more
noticable. At extreme scale you can spend a majority of the time in the
coarse grids.