[petsc-dev] could we let "make -j N" work for PETSc and external packages?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 24 17:06:29 CDT 2018

PETSc configure sets up a default value that always gets used.

balay at asterix /home/balay/tmp/petsc (maint=)
$ make
<snip>
Using MAKEFLAGS: -j4 -l6.0 w -- PETSC_DIR=/home/balay/tmp/petsc PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux2-c-debug
<<<

You can always override this default by adding a -j option. [since the
user specified -j value comes at the end - it overrides the one that
is specified at the begining of make command]

balay at asterix /home/balay/tmp/petsc (maint=)
$ make -j20
<snip>
Using MAKEFLAGS: -j4 -l6.0 w -j20 --jobserver-auth=3,4 -- PETSC_DIR=/home/balay/tmp/petsc PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux2-c-debug
<<<<<<<<<<

However some older make version might not display this info properly. [it should use the user specified '-j' value though]

[petsc at ipro petsc.maint ((879a78556f...))]$ make -j2
Using MAKEFLAGS: -j7 -l12.0 w --jobserver-fds=3,4 -j -- PETSC_DIR=/Users/petsc/petsc.maint PETSC_ARCH=arch-osx-10.6
<<<<<<<

You can use the alternate mode - just modify the default '-j' value used MAKE_NP

[petsc at ipro petsc.maint ((879a78556f...))]$ make MAKE_NP=2
Using MAKEFLAGS: -j2 -l12.0 w -- PETSC_DIR=/Users/petsc/petsc.maint PETSC_ARCH=arch-osx-10.6 MAKE_NP=2
<<<<<<<

Or you can control this default value at configure time [this affects externalpackage builds]

./configure --with-make-np=2

Satish